Do you want to install and set up the Rank Math WordPress SEO Plugin for your website or blog?
Then You are in the right place.
Every WordPress website or blog owner needs an SEO Plugin.
If you want more features in free then you can use Rank Math SEO Plugin for your WordPress website or blog?
You can use Rank Math SEO Plugin for your personal blog and clients. It has more features than any other WordPress SEO Plugin. It means you do not need to install more plugins.
In this guide, we will cover 2 aspects.
- Rank Math SEO Plugin Tutorial (Complete Set up)
- Content Optimization using Rank Math WordPress SEO Plugin.
How to Set Up Rank Math WordPress SEO Plugin (Step-by-Step Guide)
In this, we will cover step by step Rank Math WordPress SEO Plugin set up for website owners and bloggers.
Note: If you want to use the Rank Math Plugin for your WordPress website or blog then it will automatically import the settings from other plugins.
1. Download and Install Rank Math SEO Plugin
If you will face any problem installing Rank Math SEO Plugin in your Admin Dashboard then you can download this plugin from the Rank Math website.
After downloading, you can upload this plugin in your WordPress website or blog.
Otherwise, follow this process.
Go to your WordPress Admin Dashboard.
Go to Plugins > Add New.
Search Rank Math and it will ask you to install WordPress SEO Plugin – Rank Math.
Click on Install Now and Activate the Rank Math SEO Plugin.
After activating the Rank Math plugin, it will show you in the WordPress Admin Dashboard like this.
So downloading and installing the Rank Math Plugin is easy. If you are using any SEO Plugin in beginning we will cover all the settings of Rank Math SEO Plugin.
So Let’s Get Started!
2. Go to Setup Wizard
Go to Plugins > Installed Plugins.
Click on Setup Wizard.
3. Activate Rank Math SEO Plugin
After clicking on Setup Wizard, it will ask you to activate the Rank Math SEO Plugin.
Before activating the plugin, it will ask you to create a Free Rank Math Account.
Click on Activate Rank Math.
After click on Activate Rank Math, it will redirect you to their website.
You can register through Facebook, Google Account and Email Id.
Note: If you are using Facebook and Google for sign up then they will send your email address and password on your Email.
We will use Google, so it will ask your Gmail Id and password.
After putting your Gmail Id and Password, it authenticates your WordPress website or blog.
Click on Ok.
It will redirect you to the Wizard for setting up Rank Math SEO Plugin.
Rank Math Automatically detects the compatibility with your WordPress website or blog on their own.
You will see the Start Wizard option in the blue button. Click on Start Wizard.
So after clicking on Start Wizard, your set up process begins.
4. Import Settings from Other WordPress SEO Plugins
Note: If you are not using any SEO Plugin before then it will not appear otherwise you can skip the Import Settings.
If you want to switch from other SEO Plugins then you should follow this process.
If you want to switch from other SEO Plugins to Rank Math then Rank Math will automatically detect all your SEO settings.
Here we are using the All-in-One SEO Pack and Redirection Plugins then you can import both plugin settings to Rank Math.
Click on Start Import.
Click on the All in One SEO Pack drop-down on the right side and select all the Import Settings.
After selecting all import settings, click on Start Import.
It will successfully import the All-in-one SEO Pack and Redirection Plugin settings.
Click on Continue.
5. Select the Website Type
In the next section, Rank Math will ask your website information.
It will ask you the three basic information about your WordPress website.
1. Types of Website
In this section, you will have to choose your Website type. You can choose these options here.
- Personal Blog
- Community Blog / News Site
- Personal Portfolio
- Small Business Site
- Other Personal Website
- Other Business Website
You can select your website category by drop-down menu.
If you choose Community Blog/News Site, Small Business Site, Webshop, Other Business Website then you will have to fill Business Type.
2. Logo for Google
You have to upload a logo for your WordPress website or blog in this section. The maximum resolution for your WordPress website or blog is 1920X1080px.
3. Default Social Share Image
If you want to show your favorite social sharing icons then you can upload your social share images here.
After selecting all the options, click on Save and Continue.
6. Set Up Google Search Console
Google Search Console is a free SEO tool that will help you to grow your WordPress website or blog SEO.
With the help of Rank Math, you can authorize the Google Search Console account.
But before authorization, you have a Google Search Console account. If you have not then you should verify Google Search Console to your WordPress website.
Click on Get Authorization Code and it will ask you to Choose Your Gmail Account.
After selecting your Gmail Id, it will provide you the Authorization Code.
Paste this Authorize Code in Search Console section and click on Authorize.
After clicking on Authorize, it will pick up your WordPress website or blog automatically.
So you will see your WordPress website. After setting up the search console profile, click on Save and Continue.
7. Sitemap Settings
A sitemap is basically used to index your website faster in Google and other search engines.
An XML Sitemap is for the search engines and crawlers to index your website faster.
So you should On your WordPress website or blog sitemap in the Rank Math. Rank Math easily creates a sitemap for your WordPress website or blog.
You will get more options for your sitemap in Rank Math Plugin.
You will get two options for Sitemap. The first option is Off and the Second option is On.
So you should On the Sitemap. We recommend you to On the sitemap.
2. Include Images:
You will get two options for Images. The first option is Off and the second option is On.
We recommend you to On the Include Images option in the sitemap.
Google will rank your images if you include the images in your WordPress website or blog sitemap.
3. Public Post Types:
In this option, select which type of Posts and Pages you want to index in the search engines. If you have a blog then you should select Posts and Pages.
If you have a service website then you should select Services, Clients and other types of pages.
4. Public Taxonomies
If you want to index your categories and tags then you can use this option. Otherwise, you can leave this option.
We have not added Categories in our Website XML Sitemap.
After selecting all the sitemap settings, click on Save and Continue.
8. SEO Tweaks
In SEO Tweaks, you should enable those options in SEO Tweaks which are a benefit for your WordPress Website or Blog SEO.
You will get the following options in SEO Tweaks.
1. Noindex Empty Category and Tag Archives
Category and Tag Archives index by Google by default. So you will get two options.
The first option is Off and the second option is On.
We recommend you to On the Noindex Empty Categories and Tag Archives.
2. Nofollow External Links
Rank Math will ask you to make all the external links Nofollow. So you can On and Off Nofollow External Links.
But we recommend you to Off the Nofollow External Links.
3. Open External Links in New Tab/Window
With the help of this option, your external links will open in the new tab and Window.
We recommend you to On the Open External Links in New Tab/Window option.
In Some Cases, you will see the Nofollow Image File Links and Strip Category Base.
So we recommend you to On the Nofollow Image File Links option.
If you want to remove Category from your Web Page URL then you should Off the Strip Category Base option. Otherwise, you can On the Strip Category Base option.
After completing all the steps in SEO Tweaks then click on Save and Continue.
After completing all the steps, you have access to all the Rank Math WordPress SEO Plugin basic settings.
You will get this type of Message that Your Site is Ready.
So after completing Setup Wizard configuration, you will completely set up Rank Math SEO Plugin for your WordPress Website or Blog.
These are the basic settings. So for Advanced Settings, Go to your WordPress Admin Dashboard.
Advance Rank Math WordPress SEO Plugin Settings
In the Setup Process, we have discussed basic SEO Settings for Rank Math.
If you will leave the settings then it is Ok for your WordPress website or blog.
If you want to utilize all the Features of Rank Math Plugin then you should do advance settings in Rank Math plugin.
You will see the Rank Math plugin on the left side of the WordPress Admin Dashboard.
Go to Rank Math > General Settings.
1. General Settings
The General Settings is the most important for any SEO and Blogger. General settings will affect your SEO.
So look for all the options in General Settings.
In the link section, you can modify the behavior of links on your website or blog.
These are the settings that you will find in the link section.
- Strip Category Base: In the setup section, we have discussed Strip Category Base. If you want to put the category in URL then you can turn On this option. Otherwise, You can turn Off this plugin if you do not want to put the category in URL. We recommend you to turn Off this setting.
- Redirect Attachments: You should On Redirect Attachment settings. With the help of redirect attachments, you can easily redirect the URL of your attachment to the post that is associated with images.
- Redirect Orphan Attachments: If the images and attachments are not associated with any post that is called orphan media. You can put the Orphan Media Link for redirection. But you should put the Website Homepage URL in this field.
- Remove Stop Words from Permalinks: If you do not want to use stop words like a, the, and, in the permalinks then you can enable this option. But We recommend you to turn Off this setting.
- Nofollow External Links: We recommend you turn Off this setting because nofollow all the external links is not a good practice. Google will not consider you an authority website. If you will make all links nofollow.
- Nofollow Image File Link: We recommend you to enable the Nofollow Image File Link by turn On. After enabling this option, it will make nofollow all the links that are associated with images. After enabling this option you will see Nofollow Domains and Nofollow Exclude Domain. Leave these options as it is.
- Open External Links in New Tab: If you enable this option then the user will see your external links in the new tab. We recommend you to turn On this option.
Click on Save Changes. It will save your Link settings.
This section is related to your WordPress website or blog images. Here are the two options available in this section.
- Add missing ALT attributes: Enable this option and it will automatically add ALT tag in your images If there is no ALT tag available. So we recommend you to turn On this option.
- ALT attribute format: When you will turn on Add missing ALT attributes then it will ask you the ALT Attribute Format. So we recommend you to put %title% in this section. It means your image should be related to any title. Rank Math supports many variables to create a useful format.
- Add missing Title attributes: Enable Add missing Title attributes option and it will automatically add the Title in your images. So we recommend you to turn On this option.
- Title attribute format: When you enable Add missing Title attributes option then it will ask you the Title attribute format. This option is the same as the ALT attribute format. So put %title% in Title attribute format.
So click on Save Changes and your image settings will save.
Breadcrumbs are navigation elements. It will help the users to navigate in your WordPress website or blog. It will provide a better user experience.
There is various WordPress Breadcrumbs Plugin available in the market but Rank Math is also providing the breadcrumbs features. It means you do not need to install a separate plugin for Breadcrumbs.
If you have not any breadcrumb on your WordPress website or blog then we recommend you turn On this option.
When you will enable Breadcrumbs on your WordPress website or blog then various options are available. Most of the themes are providing Breadcrumbs.
- Separator Character: This option will help you to separate the characters for your breadcrumbs. We recommend you to use “>>” or “-“.
- Show Homepage Link: If you want to show your HomePage links in breadcrumbs then enable this option. We recommend you to turn On this option.
- Homepage label: Choose your Homepage label simple. You can choose Home as a Homepage label. You can configure what type of label you want to give the homepage of your WordPress website or blog.
- Homepage Link: In this option, you can send your visitors to send your desired page through click on Home in breadcrumbs navigation. So enter your Homepage URL.
- Prefix Breadcrumbs: If you want to put something before your breadcrumbs then you can put in this section. So you can put “Navigation” etc.
- Archive Format: Keep the archive format as it is.
- Search Result Format: It will ask you to the breadcrumbs format that you want to show in the search engines. We recommend you to keep as it is.
- 404 Label: This option will help you to set up a breadcrumb format for the 404 pages. Keep as it is.
- Hide Post Title: Your post title will show in the breadcrumbs by default. So you should turn On this option and it will hide the post title in breadcrumbs.
- Show Category: If you enable this option then it will show the ancestor category in breadcrumbs. So we recommend you to turn Off Show Category option.
- Hide Taxonomy Name: You should turn off this option.
Click on Save Changes and your breadcrumbs settings are saved.
d. Webmaster Tools
With the help of the Webmaster Tools option, you can verify various Webmaster tool account by putting their HTML Verification code.
You should verify Google and Bing Webmaster tools easily from here.
Signup for Webmaster tools and paste the HTML Verification code and Click on Save Changes. You will easily approve webmaster for any search engine.
e. Edit robots.txt file
Rank Math is providing access to robots.txt file. There are various separate Robots.txt WordPress Plugins available in the market. You do not need to use other plugins if you are using Rank Math SEO Plugin.
Robots.txt file is present in the root directory of the WordPress website or blog.
So you can make changes to your robots.txt file from here. Rank Math will help you to easily access and manage the robots file.
f. Edit .htaccess
It is a configuration file that will help users and search engines to navigate in your WordPress website or blog.
So you can edit your .htaccess file directly from Rank Math plugin. So we do not recommend you make any changes in .htaccess file without proper knowledge.
Put any code in the .htaccess carefully because it can break the functionality of your WordPress website or blog.
After this, two settings are present Search Console and Others. These settings are not important. We have set up the Search Console during the basic settings of the Rank Math WordPress SEO Plugin.
2. Rank Math Title and Meta Settings
The title and meta tags play a very important role in the search engine to pick up your content.
So you should set up Rank Math title and Meta Settings for better optimization.
So you will get the following settings in Title and Meta Settings.
a. Global Meta
These settings will help you to set the default Title and Meta for your WordPress website or blog. So here are the various options in the Global Meta settings.
- Robots Meta: Robots meta will help you to communicate the indexing preference with search engines. The robot meta tags can be set on the basis of per post and pages.
So here are various tags available in the Robots Meta option. So we will explain all the meta tags.
No Index: It means you do not want to index any page or post through the No Index tag.
No Archive: It means you do not want to show the cached version of the pages and posts in the search engines.
No Snippet: It means you do not want to include any snippet below the search result of your page.
No Follow: It means you give a command to search engines that do not follow the link and pass any link juice.
No Image Index: It means you do not want to index any post image by search engines.
So we recommend you do not select any option in the Robots Meta option.
- Advanced Robots Meta: Leave this option as it is.
- Noindex Empty Category and Tag Archives: You should turn On this setting and it will not index thin content.
- Separator Character: You can choose any separator character for your Post title.
- Capitalize Titles: Turn On this option otherwise it will make the first character capital of every word in your title.
- OpenGraph Thumbnail: Upload any image in the OpenGraph Thumbnail. Opengraph is used for Facebook posts. If you do not upload any image then the default image will upload when you will post on Facebook through this plugin.
- Twitter Card Type: Set a default Twitter Card for your WordPress website or blog. We recommend you to choose the Summary Card with Large Image.
Click on Save Changes and Your Meta settings will save.
b. Local SEO
Local SEO contains all the settings related to the local business. So here you should fill all the company and blog details with Address.
If you do not have a local business then you can skip the Local SEO option.
So Choose Person or Company, Put your business name, logo, URL, Email, Phone, Address, and choose the About Us & Contact Us page, Business hours and types, Price, etc.
Click on Save Changes and your business detail will save.
c. Social Meta
In the Social Meta, Rank Math will ask all the social media account details.
So in the social meta section, you have to fill Facebook Page, Admin, App, Secret, Twitter Profile URL & Username, Yelp, Foursquare, Flickr, LinkedIn, Instagram, Pinterest Page URL, and Youtube URL.
Fill the social media accounts detail in this section.
Click on Save Changes after fill all the Social Media Account details.
If your homepage is static then Rank Math will not show the homepage settings.
In the Homepage section, it contains all the meta-information about the Homepage.
- Homepage Title: In this option, you can put the static title otherwise you can put title with a variable.
- HomePage Description: In this option, put your meta description otherwise you can put meta description with the help of variables.
- Homepage Robots Meta: This option will help you to set up the meta for your homepage. We have discussed Robots meta in the Global meta section. We recommend you to choose the default option.
So you can choose Facebook Hompage Title, description and thumbnail from this section.
If you are a single author then Disabled Authors option otherwise in case of multiple authors enable this option.
The Author tabs contain all the settings related to Author archive just like category and tags archive.
So choose Author Robots Meta as Custom and make Author Robots Meta No Index.
Fill Author archive Title and Description and turn on Add SEO Meta Box for Users.
Click on Save Changes and your Author settings will save.
f. Misc Pages:
Misc Pages section contains the settings like Date Archives, 404 Pages and much more.
We recommend you to disable the date archive settings.
In this, you will have to fill Date Archive title, description, Search Result, and 404 Page title.
In Date Robots Meta, Choose only noindex option.
You should turn on No index Search Results, Noindex Paginated Pages, Noindex Archive Subpages, and Noindex Password Protected Pages settings in Misc pages.
So this is the complete SEO and Meta tag settings using Rank Math WordPress SEO Plugin.
Optimizing Your Posts and Pages through Rank Math WordPress SEO Plugin
After completing all the settings for Rank Math SEO Plugin, you have to use this plugin for optimizing your blog posts and web pages.
The setting of the Rank math plugin is not enough. You can maximize the benefit of Rank math by optimizing each page and post.
Rank Math supports both the Gutenberg and Classic Editor. So you can find Rank math below the text area.
Before optimizing your blog or website content, you have to do proper keyword research through the best keyword research tools and optimize your content for one focus keyword and put their LSI keywords.
So You can put 5 keywords in the Rank Math SEO Plugin.
Put the Title, Meta Description, and Permalink in the General Section.
It will show your content score after optimizing your content properly. You should try to make your content score in Green format.
You have to follow these guides when you optimize your blog content through Rank Math WordPress SEO plugin.
- Do proper keyword research.
- Optimize around 1 keyword with LSI Suggestions.
- You can put 5 keywords in the Focus Keyword Section.
- The title length should be 50-60 characters.
- The meta description length should be 160 characters.
- The Focus keyword present in URL, Title and Meta Description, and in the content introduction part.
- Your title and content readability should be good.
- Additional Requirements like Internal and external links etc.
So follow these guidelines and get better results in terms of SEO.
In Advanced option, you can set up robots meta for your Blog post and define the canonical URL. So choose index in robots met a section.
It will help you to index your blog post through search engines.
You can apply schema through Rank math SEO Plugin. Rank math includes 14 types of schema.
Here are the 14 types of Schema that are using by Rank Math SEO Plugin is using.
- Job Posting
- Software Application
You can choose which type of schema you want to apply. You can apply schema on Article, Blog Post, and News Article.
In the last, we have Social Customization tab where we can edit and preview title, description, and a thumbnail will be displayed on Facebook and Twitter when your post is shared on Facebook and Twitter.
So this is the complete Rank Math SEO Plugin optimization guide.
So with the help of this guide, you can easily set up Rank Math WordPress SEO Plugins for your website or blog.
You can do all the Rank math SEO settings of your WordPress blog easily by reading this guide.
Also, you can optimize your blog or website content through this guide.
You should apply these settings and optimization tricks and get better results in terms of ranking and traffic.
If you liked this article then please share this article on Facebook and Twitter. Please Join our Facebook Group for more information.
So let us know your feedback in the comment section about Rank Math WordPress SEO Plugin setup guide.
Your feedbacks are appreciated.